We know that you have many choices in selecting the best education for your child and we thank you for considering PUSD.

While every child living within PUSD boundaries is guaranteed placement in their neighborhood school, a different campus might offer a specialized program or focus that better meets the interests and needs of the individual student.

PUSD's annual winter Open Enrollment process offers families an opportunity to apply to attend a school other than their assigned neighborhood school in the next academic year.

Important Message About New School Boundaries

Please check the District’s school locator to become familiar with school boundary changes. New boundaries were approved at the October 23, 2014 Board of Education meeting. The new boundaries shift the geographic school boundaries of many PUSD schools but do not include any school closures. While these changes will take effect for the 2015-2016 school year, students will not have to change the school they are currently attending. Parents are also able to choose any school outside their attendance area with space available through Open Enrollment.

Important Dates

April 28 2015-2016 Open Enrollment Concludes
Concluye el trámite de Inscripción Abierta 2015-2016
May 4 — June 12 Interdistrict Permit Requests to Enter/Exit PUSD
Permiso interdistrital para solicitar la salida del PUSD
June 4 — July 31, 2015 Transfers to School of Residence and New-to-PUSD Intradistrict Requests Accepted at District Office Only
La solicitud de transferencia a la escuela que corresponde por el domicilio y solicitud Interdistrital para los que son nuevos en PUSD se aceptan solamente en las oficinas centrales del distrito.

* This calendar reflects recent changes to PUSD Board Policy 5116.1 and is subject to change. / Este calendario refleja varios de los cambios recientes a la Política 5116.1 de la Mesa Directiva del PUSD y puede modificarse.

Questions & Answers

Preguntas y Respuestas en Español

What You Need to Know About 2015-16 Open Enrollment

What is Open Enrollment?

Open Enrollment is Pasadena Unified School District's (PUSD) school of choice program that offers Altadena, Pasadena and Sierra Madre families the opportunity to attend schools outside of their neighborhood school's attendance boundaries. While every child living within PUSD boundaries is guaranteed placement at their school of residence, one campus may have a special program or focus that best meets the needs or interests of an individual student.

Each winter, the Open Enrollment process offers district families the opportunity to apply to attend a school other than their school of residence. Schools project enrollment based on demographic data about the number of school-age children residing within a campus' boundaries. Any seats not occupied by neighborhood students are made available. Space is limited. Open Enrollment is a random lottery. Once enrolled, a student does not have to annually reapply.

Who should apply for Open Enrollment and how do we apply?

  • All incoming Kindergarten — 11th grade students who live in the Pasadena Unified School District are eligible to apply. Read the school profiles in PUSD's Guide to Schools & Services.
  • Take a school tour and visit school events.
  • Complete a 2015-16 application online January 8-29 at www.openenrollment.info
  • Indicate up to five school choices in order of preference.
  • The application can be completed and submitted from any computer with internet service and may be revised up until the deadline; there is no preference for being first to apply.

If my child is accepted at a school outside of our neighborhood, will he or she receive transportation?

Families are responsible for providing their own transportation arrangements to and from school. PUSD's 2015-16 transportation routes are still to be determined. More details will be forthcoming.

How do I select the right school for my child?

First, learn about your school of residence and explore PUSD's signature programs for your child. All campuses offer rigorous academic programs aligned to the Common Core State Standards, highly qualified teachers and an array of enrichment opportunities. PUSD schools continue to demonstrate consistent academic achievement. Inquire about before and after-school care programs. Consult the official Guide to Schools & Services (PDF) for more information on PUSD schools and programs.

What is my school of residence?

To find your school of residence, visit boundary maps and use the School Locator. If you feel your address is on the border or perhaps is a different school, please call the Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records, 626-396-3600 x.88340 for a definitive answer.

What should I do to enroll my child at our school of residence?

To support the school's planning it is strongly encouraged that families register by early March. Simply go to the office of your school of residence during the school day. To register you must present your child's:

  • Original birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate, immigration certificate, bible record
  • Most recent immunization and vaccination record
  • Proof of residency in the form of a recent gas, electric or water bill in parent/guardian's name
  • Second proof of residency in the form of either a deed of trust, mortgage payment receipt, rental/lease agreement, property tax bill or closing escrow papers in parent/guardian's name
  • Transcripts from previous school, if applicable
  • Individualized Education Program (IEP), if applicable

At what age is my child eligible to enroll in Kindergarten?

Children must be five years old on or before September 1, 2015 to enroll in Kindergarten for the school year beginning August 2015.

What is Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?

Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is the first year of a two-year Kindergarten experience for those students turning five years old between September 2 and December 2, 2015. TK offers children developmentally appropriate curriculum aligned with Kindergarten standards, taught by credentialed teachers. TK is available at limited school sites. Children have an assigned school based on their home address. Transitional Kindergarten is voluntary.

Do I submit an Open Enrollment application to enroll my child in a Dual Language Immersion Program?

Yes. If your child will be starting Kindergarten, you would need to complete an Open Enrollment application to attend one of PUSD's three Dual Language Immersion campuses: San Rafael Elementary-Spanish, Jackson STEM Dual Language Magnet Academy-Spanish, and Field Elementary-Mandarin Chinese. However, these schools offer "neighborhood preference" for students living within a defined area of the respective school. (See below.)

Is there an assessment prior to attending a Dual Language Immersion Program?

There are no requirements to apply for PUSD's Spanish and Mandarin Chinese dual language programs, but a student who applies and is accepted as a "native speaker" will need to pass a language assessment verifying native-language knowledge and skills prior to final registration. If it's determined the child is not a native speaker, the child will not be able to register.

If I am interested in having my child attend a Magnet Grant school, do I apply?

Yes, to attend a Magnet Grant school, families apply. PUSD's two magnet elementary schools are Jackson STEM Dual Language Magnet Academy and Washington Elementary STEM Magnet. The two middle school magnets are Eliot Arts Magnet and Washington STEAM Magnet Academy.

Note: If applying for the Spanish Dual Language Immersion Program at Jackson you will need to select that specific language program when making your school selections on the application.

Should I submit an Open Enrollment application to enroll my child in a College & Career Pathway?

Yes, with the exception of the APP Academy, if your child is entering 9th or 10th grade an application would need to be submitted for the Pathway if it is not offered at your school of residence. For Pathways, 50 percent of the total number of open seats is available for students residing outside the attendance area of the requested Pathway. The APP Academy which has entrance requirements (see below) only accepts students entering 9th grade.

Are there eligibility requirements for Pathways?

Yes, but only for the APP Academy. Applicants must meet at least one of the following academic achievements at time of application: cumulative middle school GPA of 3.0 or above or a cumulative middle school GPA of 2.0 or above and earned at least one of the following:

  • B grade or above in at least one year of C-based robotics class
  • GPA of 3.0 or above in middle school math classes
  • A grade of Pass in a summer C-based robotics class

Should I submit an Open Enrollment application to enroll my child in Marshall Fundamental 6-12?

Yes. You will need to complete an Open Enrollment application to attend any PUSD school other than your school of residence, including Marshall, a permit-only school which offers "neighborhood preference." (Please see below.)

Beginning with the 2015-16 school year, Don Benito and Norma Coombs are no longer permit-only schools. They are schools with neighborhood attendance boundaries. Families interested in attending either school, not residing within the schools' attendance boundaries, are able to apply during Open Enrollment.

What is "Neighborhood Preference"?

Marshall Fundamental 6-12 and the Dual Language Immersion Program campuses are subject to "neighborhood preference," which means 50 percent of available openings are for students living within defined zones around these schools; they must make their "neighborhood preference" school their first choice.

Magnet Grant schools also offer a neighborhood preference (please see above).

Applicants are selected through a random lottery and if not selected via "neighborhood preference," the student's application is re-entered into the general lottery.

If my child is currently attending a PUSD Pre-K or TK should we apply for Kindergarten through Open Enrollment?

Yes, if the current school the child attends is not the family's school of residence but you want your child to stay there for Kindergarten, you must apply. Enrollment at a PUSD Pre-School or Transitional Kindergarten class does not guarantee a student will be enrolled at that same school for Kindergarten. Parents must participate in Open Enrollment to have their student attend a school other than their school of residence for Kindergarten.

Do I need to submit an application if my child already attends a school other than our school of residence, our neighborhood school?

No. You need to submit an application only if:

  • You wish to apply for a different PUSD school in the 2015-16 school year, or,
  • You are enrolling your child in PUSD for the first time and wish to enroll in a school other than your school of residence.

If I have more than one child in my household, do I need to submit a separate application for each child?

Yes. Each applicant must submit a separate online application at www.openenrollment.info. All efforts will be made to ensure that families with siblings in the same grade are accepted into the same school when choices are ranked in identical order.

Will my child be considered for admission if we submit our application after the January 29, 2015 application deadline?

Yes. You may submit an application during the late application-second lottery phase, March 23-27, 2015, provided your child did not register for 2015-16 following the first lottery. The second random lottery is for any unfilled seats following the first lottery and like the first lottery, upon conclusion of the late application phase no waiting lists will be maintained.


What process or criteria do you use to determine admission to the schools?

Whenever the number of applications exceeds the number of available seats at a particular school, a computer-generated random lottery process is utilized to fill the seats. You may view the number of available spaces at each grade level for individual schools at www.openenrollment.info January 8, 2015.

Are there any major changes to the Open Enrollment selection process?

Yes, there are two important new aspects to note:

  1. There will be two separate lotteries this year and there will no longer be any wait lists.
  2. A student who registers during a phase of Open Enrollment is pre-enrolled for the 2015-2016 school year and may not participate in any other phase of Open Enrollment.

Are preferences given to certain applicants?

Yes. In addition to neighborhood preference described above there is employee preference and there are priority enrollments for:

  • Siblings. Parents/guardians may register siblings living in the same home, who will be enrolled together during the same school year, directly at the school of choice. Also, if the family's school of residence will change next year but they would like for a brother/sister to attend the current school with their sibling, they may register during Priority Registration.
  • International Baccalaureate 5th graders. Students attending Willard Elementary can pre-enroll in 6th grade at Blair IB 6-12.
  • Dual Language Immersion Program (DLIP) Spanish and Mandarin Chinese students. Pre-K may pre-enroll at the campus they currently attend. Transitioning 5th grade students may pre-enroll at the respective middle school: Spanish at Blair and Mandarin Chinese at Sierra Madre Middle.

When does priority enrollment take place?

Students who meet the criterion specific to each "priority enrollment" must complete registration with all appropriate documents from November 10-December 5, 2014 by 12 p.m. Eligible students who do not register during the specific time period forfeit priority. A student who registers during priority enrollment does not participate in any other phase of Open Enrollment as they have secured placement for 2015-16.

What is the application deadline and when will I be notified?

Completed applications must be submitted online by midnight, January 29, 2015.

Open Enrollment lottery outcomes will be posted online and mailed and tentative notification dates are:

  • First Lottery, February 20, 2015
  • Second Lottery, April 14, 2015

What if my child is not accepted at any of the schools I have selected?

You will need to register at your neighborhood school, your school of residence.


If my application is accepted, how do I secure my child's seat at the school?

You must complete the registration process to secure a seat at a school. Once you receive notice that your application for a school has been accepted, you must register your child at that school by the deadline included in the notification. If a child is not registered by the deadline, the spot will be forfeited.

Can I change schools during the year?

No. PUSD does not do mid-year transfers. If your child is currently attending a PUSD school other than your school of residence and you wish to change enrollment to your school of residence, you must wait until the end of the school year to un-enroll at which time you may present two proofs of residency (see above) at the Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records by July 31, 2015 to receive an intradistrict permit to the school of residence. No transfers will be permitted after July 31. The school a student is registered for on July 31 is the school of attendance for the school year.

I am new to PUSD but missed Open Enrollment?

Families that are new and missed Open Enrollment have the opportunity to request enrollment in a school that did not fill their projected seats at the close of Open Enrollment and will have space. This can vary by grade level within a school. This option closes the Friday before the first day of school.

What are the enrollment opportunities for students who do not reside within PUSD boundaries?

Non-resident families are welcome to explore PUSD programs: College & Career Pathways in our high schools, Dual Language Immersion Programs in Spanish and Mandarin at elementary sites, the STEAM Magnet at Washington Middle School, Visual & Performing Arts at Eliot, the International Baccalaureate Programme at Willard Elementary School and Blair Middle and High School, and more. Non residents are invited to submit an online application of interest during Open Enrollment from March 23-27. All interdistrict transfers are made in accordance with Board of Education policy and state law.

How can I get even more information?

Contact the Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records at 626-396-3600 x.88340.

Additional Resources